Village Services Code Enforcement
Code Enforcement Print E-mail


Code Enforcement Officer:  John Cromp
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

26 Fennell Street

Skaneateles, NY 13152

Office hours: 
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursdays (except Holidays)
or by Appointment

Phone: 315-685-2118
Fax: 315-685-0730

The Code Enforcement Office coordinates the following:

  • Building permits     
  • Construction inspections
  • Zoning information provision
  • Code compliance inspections
  • Code violation investigations
  • Fire safety inspections
  • Flood zone information (FEMA Maps)


Building permits shall be required as prescribed under Village Law 76-11.  The Code Enforcement Officer is available to discuss any planned projects and review what permits/approvals may be required.  The following is a list of common projects for which a building permit is required:

  • Repairs, alterations, additions
  • New home construction  
  • Driveways    
  • Home additions (deck, porch, garage, etc.)
  • Swimming pools
  • Fences and Walls
  • Storage sheds
  • Signs
  • Wood stoves, fireplaces, and other solid fuel heating devices 
  • Chimneys and Flues
  • Roof replacement
  • Kitchen & Bathroom renovations

Building permits may be obtained by presenting to the Code Enforcement Office a current survey of the land on which the proposed work is to be done, a statement of the use or occupancy of all parts of the land and buildings, a brief description of the proposed work along with a cost estimate, a set of project construction plans, the full name and address of the property owner/applicant, proof of workers compensation (see below) and a statement that the work shall be performed in compliance with the Uniform Code, applicable state/local laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations.  Fees are based on total construction costs.

A tenant change in an existing building necessitates the owner, property manager or prospective tenant to contact the Code Enforcement Office to determine what may be required with regard to a building permit.  At a minimum a Fire Safety inspection is required before a Certificate of Compliance can be issued.

Please note that ACORD forms are NOT acceptable proof of New York State workers’ compensation.  Under Workers’ compensation law (WCL) Section 57, businesses requesting permits, licenses or seeking to enter into contracts must provide ONE of the following forms to the entity issuing the permit or entering into a contract.  The following are acceptable forms: 

  • CE-200 Certificate of Attestation of Exemption From New York State Workers’ Compensation and/or Disability Benefits Insurance Coverage; OR
  • C-105.2 (9-07) Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Insurance; OR
  • U-26.3 State Insurance Fund’s version of the C-105.2 form; OR
  • SI-12 Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Self-Insurance (the business calls the Board's Self- Insurance Office at 518-402-0247); OR
  • GSI-105.2 Certificate of Participation in Workers’ Compensation Group Self-Insurance (2-02)

If there are no employees the contractor can complete the CE-200 “Certificate of Attestation For New York entities With No Employees And Certain Out Of State Entities, that New York state Workers’ Compensation And/Or Disability Benefits Insurance Coverage Is Not Required”.  The new form CE-200 will be valid for a single building permit only.  Form CE-200 can be filled out electronically on the Board’s website, under the heading “Forms.”  Applications filing electronically are able to print a finished Form CE-200 immediately upon, completion of the electronic application.  Applicants without access to a computer may obtain a paper application for the CE-200 by writing or visiting the Customer Service Center at any District Office of the Workers’ Compensation Board. 

If the homeowner is performing the work they may complete form BP-1 (9-07) which can be located below under our Forms and is titled “BP-1 09 2007 Affidavit of Exemption Homeowners”.  The signature on this form must be witnessed by a Notary Public.

If you live in the 100-Year Flood Zone, a Flood Plain Development Permit must be applied for along with your Building Permit for ANY work. In some cases, a Flood Plain Permit must be obtained for work that does not require a Building Permit (such as siding, windows, painting, grading, etc.). 
2016 FEMA Flood Plain Maps can be found here:

2016 FEMA Map - North Village

2016 FEMA Map - South Village

If you have been notified that your property is now located in a Floodplain as a result of the 2016 map updates, you may file for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) if you believe your property was incorrectly included.  The FEMA Letter of Map Change Application requires a Community Acknowledgement Form to be completed by the COE once the application has been certified by a licensed land surveyor, registered professional engineer, or architect.  Please visit for more information. 


During any construction if you will be disturbing 1 or more acres, please visit the following websites for more information about the requirements of the Phase II Stormwater Permit Program and Regulated Construction Activities:

CNY Regional Planning & Development Board
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
US Environmental Protection Agency

Click here for important information regarding Asbestos.

Building inspections are conducted during construction to ensure compliance with all codes and laws.  An inspection is required upon completion of each stage of construction, including but not limited to:

  • Footers     
  • Foundations before backfilling   
  • Framing after mechanicals are roughed in
  • Insulation
  • Electrical - by a professional electric inspector
  • Plumber - by Onondaga County Plumbing Unit
  • REQUIRED Final Inspection - by Code Enforcement OFficer

It is the responsibility of the owner, applicant, or their agent to inform the Code Enforcement Officer that the work is ready for inspection and to schedule the inspection.

Pools (in ground or above ground / temporary or permanent) that are 24 or more inches deep require a building permit.  NYS law requires the pool to have a barrier around it.

NYS law requires that the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (the Uniform Code) provide that any “residential or commercial swimming pool constructed or substantially modified after the effective date of this paragraph (December 14, 2006) shall be equipped with an acceptable pool alarm capable of detecting a child entering the water and of giving an audible alarm.”  The alarm must meet the Safety and Performance Requirements of the ASTM International Pool Alarm Standard F 2208.

All commercial and multiple residential buildings require periodic fire/life safety inspections for compliance with the Building Code of New York State.  Annual inspections are conducted on all commercial buildings and places of public assembly, and periodic inspections are conducted on all multiple residences. Occupied dwelling units may be inspected at the invitation of the occupant or where conditions on the premises threaten or present a hazard to public health, safety, or welfare.

New EPA rules require more care around lead paint.  Click here for important information regarding renovations and lead paint for the homeowner and contractor.

Fire Code of the New York State - Open Burning and Recreational Fires:  Click here for more information.  Additionally New York State DEC has regulations regarding clean air.  For further information you may visit their website.

Now, through , the Office of the Attorney General provides New Yorkers the tools they need to make informed decisions when it comes to hiring a home improvement contractor.  You can search to see which contractors have been subject to legal action and which contractors have had substantiated consumer complaints filed against them.


 *** LAWN SIGNS ***


All lawn signs, to include but not limited to: political, school board, construction, garage sale, events; are to be placed on private property only. Signs placed between the sidewalk and the curbs are prohibited. Where no sidewalk exists, signs shall be placed no closer than ten feet from the curb or road line. Signs are also prohibited from being placed on trees, rocks, utility poles and road sign posts within the public right of way. Signs are also prohibited from public land such as all parks and Fire Dep’t property. All illegally placed signs will be removed.



Below are the standard forms used by the Code Enforcement Office:

Application for Building/Zoning Permit 04-15
Application for a Certificate of Occupancy
Application for a Demolition Permit
Home Occupation Application
Complaint Form
Wood Frame Construction Review Sheet
Commercial & Multiple Dwelling Review Sheets
Foundation Plan Review Sheets
Residential Construction Review Sheets
Zoning Board of Appeals Variance Application/Special Use Permit
Application for Approval of Proposed Subdivision Plat
 Historical Landmarks - Certificate of Approval

Application for Sign Permit

Skaneateles Parking Tickets
utility v2